Ashley Hall is truly a very special, unique place, and it’s this quality that first attracted me to the school. Having had a strong interest in Reggio since my early college days, I was ecstatic when I discovered that the EEC was in the process of adapting the approach for use in the program. I immediately felt that the Ashley Hall community was a place I wanted to be. This past fall, I jumped at the opportunity to join the staff. It’s been a pleasure working in Primary with Andrea Dolan, where I have been able to learn about the inner workings of the program while also sharing my own expertise in the arts and documentation.
Ultimately, Ashley Hall is a place where I’d like to stay. I see many areas where my experience could be a great asset to the program, and I imagine myself working as Ashley Hall’s early childhood atelierista, or studio teacher.
Mapped out in the following pages are my thoughts and ideas for creating such a position. Having owned an early childhood program myself, I understand how important it is to capture the interest of potential families when there are many other options available to them. While other schools have yoga, music, and foreign language, how many have an atelierista who works in tandem with classroom teachers to create a highly individualized educational experience? Ashley Hall could be the first, offering a program unlike anything else in the Charleston area!
The studio teacher would act as a resource to EEC faculty, providing assistance with documentation and helping to plan dynamic activities that will enhance project work and inspire the children. Teachers who may not have much experience in the arts will be able to come to the atelierista for suggestions, information, and materials.
My vision is to create a studio program that integrates rich experiences in the arts (music, movement, visual arts, drama) with Ashley Hall’s commitment to an engaging, developmentally-appropriate academic environment.